Smartphones have been around since 2000; that’s 18 years of usage. Tablets have been around since 2002 — for 16 years. Awesome, right? These tools have enabled us to get vital communications on the go.
But even though it’s 2018, is your organization using mobile technology to better communicate with desk-less, remote, and dispersed workers?
Mobility as a top priority, but some companies are getting left behind
If your company isn’t concerned about mobile technology, here’s some data from PwC about what manufacturing companies say their priorities are, in this order:
- Data mining and analysis (Big Data, Business Insights)
That’s right. Despite how vital automation and robotics is, it’s not in the top 3. But what’s number one? Mobility. Bad news, the reason mobility is a priority is that not many companies are converting. Only 44% of manufacturing companies are mobile.
That’s why adapting to modern technology is so critical to most manufacturing companies. If your company doesn’t have it as a top priority or is on their way to doing this, your business could get left behind.
Why more mobility in manufacturing?
So why are companies eager to have mobility? There are many reasons.
- Track everything in real-time. Know where items are, completed or in progress, at the push of a smartphone button or a glance at your dashboard.
- Improve quality. Manage quality from one central location and better respond to ISO demands. Know what needs discarding as well as which items are in the queue for quality control.
- Improve safety. Get urgent, relevant information about your work environment or machinery. Best of all, alerts are instant.
- Improve project management. Know how your resources are performing and be able to reassign tasks quickly.
- Decrease costs. Spend less money on wasted effort and redundancy. When you know what’s happening with products and on the shop floor, you can reassign people quickly.
- Attract new workers. People in manufacturing are retiring in droves, and many companies can’t fill those jobs. Mobility attracts younger workers with tools they’re comfortable using.
- Increase engagement and productivity. Employees who have access to the tools they need, when they need them, are more engaged and produce more. In fact, according to [x]cube Labs, 80% of people believe mobility could add at least 6% productivity.
- Meet organizational goals. Increase revenue, decrease costs. Communicate to help people understand how each employee contributes to the overall success of the organization. That includes a modern intranet that is mobile-friendly and has AI, like ElevatePoint’s.
How to go mobile
You’re in total agreement about going mobile, and it’s on your priority list! But how do you get your entire company to go mobile?
Don’t worry. These days, it’s easier to take your workplace digital. There are a variety of mobile-friendly apps that can handle enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer resource planning (CRM), communications, and everything else in your organization. Generally speaking, if you have a need, there’s an app for it.
Stretch your investment with systems that integrate, enabling people to access ERP and CRM from one, single location — your intranet. Some systems — such as ElevatePoint — are so smart they can communicate beyond just an intranet to serve information where people are, both physically and digitally.
Your IT team can provide ideas based on existing partnerships. For example, if your business uses Microsoft, there are a variety of systems — from ERP to intranets — you could use. Various consultants can assist if your team doesn’t know where to turn. For example, ElevatePoint’s intranet runs on SharePoint; our employees can provide resources from business cases to workbooks on a selection process. Free!
In summary: it’s beyond time
Mobility isn’t just a fad. Mobile technology is proven and time-tested. In fact, Pew Research indicates 77% of adults have a smartphone. Manufacturing, as an industry, has a long way to go until it’s fully mobile, but the majority of executives have mobility as the top priority. You can take your organization mobile if you devote some time and have trusted guides to help you. And your competitors may already be implementing thee solutions that give them an advantage. The time is now. Want to see an intranet that connects various systems easily and quickly? It’s information that travels in your pocket that has AI. It helps integrate your various systems. And it’s critical to your business. Get a demo today!